Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm so proud!

I can count on one hand the times I have taken all of my kids to Wal-Mart at the same time. Cuz EVERytime I did I ended up regretting it sorely and SWEARing on all that was Holy that I wouldn't do it again.

One such day, when I was obviously not thinking clearly, I decided to take them all with me just for funsies. We were doing pretty well...had two hanging onto one side of the cart, two hanging onto the other side, and one sitting in the little seat. (on a side note, it takes an extremely long time to break kids of the hanging on habit...my 19 year old still hangs onto the cart when we go shopping. Drives me nuts). The two oldest were helping me look for items, and the bearcubs (Caleb & Chance) had yet to begin brawling in the middle of the aisle so I was counting my lucky stars.

Well, I was lured into a false sense of security and began to let my eyes stray from the crew for more than 5 seconds at a time and THAT'S when he made his move!! 7 yr old Caleb disappeared into thin air! Alright, no need to panic...I sent Kelsie to look for him in the toy department, Kolby went to electronics, and I took the two youngest to the candy aisle. No Caleb. Well he's NOT stupid, he KNOWS not to talk to strangers, we'll just broaden our search. Let's see, sporting goods (he likes guns), and cereal (the sugary crap I never buy them). NOTHING!! Starting to panic!!

We are now settling down for a good old fashioned quadrant search (I SWEAR on ALL that's holy I am NEVER bringing them all with me ANYwhere EVER aGAIN!!!). Kelsie took the front/right of the store, Kolby; front/left, and I took the back with my two assistants.

I was really starting to freak out when Kolby comes trucking up with Caleb, whom he found sitting amongst the candy up by the registers (FRICK! Forgot about THAT candy!). 12 year old Kolby was quite proud of himself for saving the day. "He was sitting right there eating a Snickers Mom, so I said 'CALEB, Mom is SOOO mad right now! Finish that, and let's GO!!'" I stopped short, wondering if this would be a good time to lecture on stealing, honesty, gluttony, and being a good example to your little brother...or just grab all five of them, leave the cart where it is and just get the bloody heck OUT of there!! Did I say five? Where on earth is Kelsie!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment