Monday, July 12, 2010

Back in Time

Well, I'm back home after the much anticipated 25th class reunion for LVHS's class of '85. I've had a hard time sleeping the last few nights because I knew I wanted to write about this adventure while it was still fresh in my mind. Visions of poignant memories and lovely witticisms were floating through my head. Do you think I can come up with any of those heartwarming sentiments now?!

Lander, WY. The town that I've loved and held such fond memories of for decades now. Going to Lander IS going home for me. The best friends I've ever had, I made there. I fell in love for the very first time in that little town. My very first anguished heartbreak happened in Lander. I guess Lander is home because that is where most of my rites of passage occurred. My mother and I were comparing notes on my beloved town. I remembered the beauty, the mountains, the Sinks, Red Canyon...she remembers the wind, the snow drifts, the cold weather, and according to her...cold people too. I guess I DID pick up on the "if you weren't born here, you're not as good as us" mentality in some people. Luckily, the friends that I made thought I was ok even if I DID come from Alaska, or Nevada, or Sheridan (plus more ;p ). Coming from so many different places, Lander was the first place I lived for more than 2 years. Yet another reason I felt I had finally found a home.

This reunion was a flashback for me. My dear friends though older, wiser, and accomplished in life, are the same people they were when we were kids.

There's the leader. The girl I would follow into Hell if she told me to. Smarter than me, so very confident, she knew from birth what she was going to do with her life and she DID it!! She always had my admiration and endless devotion.

Then there was the dear mother figure of the group. She worried (still worries) about all of us. She thought of everyone else more than herself. Perhaps this caring quality is the reason she chose the profession of teacher. I know she'd take a stand between me and danger without a thought, and I hope she knows I'd do the same for her.

There's the local girl who married a local boy. We had our ups and downs but when push came to shove, nobody was ever kinder to me. I couldn't have lived without her loving nature.

My other local girl...she was the All American. A musician and a jock, completely fun to be around and so very easy going. Hanging out with her was like walking on the Oregon Coast. Cool, breezy, completely relaxing.

I was...still am perhaps, the follower. Happy to be accepted, happy to feel like I belonged. Tried to make sure everyone got along. Wanted to be liked and tried hard not to make waves.

What we've decided about our unholy alliance...we may not always like each other, but we DO always love each other, and hell hath no fury like we will if you mess with one of our girls!!

This reunion was fun, silly, and enlightening. Seeing old friends who have grown in wisdom & maturity, yet they are the exact same people I left 25 years ago.

The sweet boys I dated back then look exactly the same to me today. They still have the mischievous grins of their youth, and their eyes still twinkle. But now those eyes are also filled with the wisdom and experience 25 years of love, laughter, pain, family,careers etc. have given them.

This has been such a wonderful gift for me in other ways. I have found again, and love dearly, some wonderful people that had slipped away from me through the years.

My sweet best friend who's heart is bigger than the Wind Rivers. Always time for those who need him. I'm so happy his true love is bringing him back to this side of the country!! ;]

Our darling, "most shy" boy who I found once more a few months ago. I tried to get to know him in High School, but he wasn't ready then. So glad he's giving me the chance to disrupt his serene life now!

Last but not least, my new little sister. I am so in love with my adorable "blood" sisters and am so protective of them... I'm elated to have another little sis (and you actually look more like me than they do) ;] Thank you Angel for all you do. You've truly walked a mile or two in my shoes.

I came home (to Pasco)a little dazed and feeling somewhat inadequate in my life. ALL of these friends are educated, professional, intelligent people who have grabbed life by the horns in one way or another and wrestled that sucker to the ground. What have I done? What have I accomplished? Then I walked into my home where I was embraced fiercely by 4 of my 5 Angel children. They missed their Mama. It hit me like one of those gale force winds from my little home town. I might not be a professional person, I never got my degree. I might be a second rate wife, I may be a mediocre person as a whole...but I'm a great mommy. I love and give every ounce of who I am to my sweet kids. They love me unconditionally and that's worth everything to me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Kelly, now you can add blogger/writer to your accomplishments. Im looking forward to reading more posts, thanks for sharing. Moms rule!!!

    ReplyDelete