Monday, March 22, 2010

My letter to my favorite teacher, Mr Dennis Cone

You know, I think that most of us have had a favorite teacher. The leader of that one class that we could look forward to every day. But Mr. Cone, it takes a VERY special teacher to invoke the kind of fierce loyalty, love and devotion that you have received from so many students for so many years! You have a way of making each of us feel special. Your humor, your infectious love and passion for music, your talent for making our choirs SO fun and successful, were reason enough for your students to adore you. But you took it a step further by taking an interest in your individual students. We all KNEW without a doubt that you cared about us.

I count myself among the EXTREMELY blessed. I was able to have Uncle Dennis as my friend, teacher and mentor for Five years! At Starrett in the cafeteria every morning, watching as you patiently (oh yes, you were SOOO patient) trying to get those squirrelly Jr. High students to concentrate on your vision. One of the greatest days was when you hurdled the first row of singers, grabbed Wade Alexander, pushed him all the way back while he was still in his chair, and convinced him that some better behavior might be in order. I was a bit worried for you because I had never truly seen that shade of red before, and that was the first time (sadly not the last) that I saw the vein on your temple throbbing. It was also in Jr High that I discovered how much I wanted to make you proud. You discovered that I could read music and seemed genuinely pleased. I was thrilled that I had made you happy, and I was devoted to you from that time forth.

In HS I always had at least two choir classes. I majored in singing and found such joy in it. You helped us all to feel pride in what we were doing. Valley Singers were ALWAYS elite! We wanted to make you proud and you worked so hard to show us who we could become. We drove you nuts, we teased you, we bribed you with candy if we were tardy, and we loved you more than you will ever know.

We loved preparing for our concerts because that's when lovely Lucy would come and play for us so you could concentrate fully on your choirs. She was amazing and read you like a book. She knew where you wanted to start before you did, she was like an extension of you! You two were the "ConeCreature", reading each other's minds and knowing exactly what to do to mold all these goobs into a fantastic singing group. I especially loved when Lucy brought Molly so we could pack her around and spoil her. Unfortunately we didn't get her very often (what? she wasn't distracting us!).

Do you know what is most incredible? The fact that your influence on me carried through the years to my beautiful daughter Kelsie. I was able to cultivate a love of music in her just as you did in me. I was able to recognize her talent and encourage her, just as you did me. Kelsie sang her very first solo (on a stage in front of 100s of people) when she was 8 years old. I was able to instill confidence in her and she was bitten by the performance bug. I took her (and her brothers) through several school and church plays and talent shows for the next 6 or 7 years until she got to HS. Then guess what happened!? She found her very own Mr. Cone (only his name is Mr. Haug)! He took over for me and took her to new heights in an amazing show choir, and he allowed me to tag along and sell tickets and spearhead fundraisers ;].

Congratulations to you and Lucy on your "retirement". I put the word in quotes because I know you two well enough to know that you won't slow down. You two will always be pillars in the community in whatever you do. How wonderful it must be for you to know that you have touched the lives of thousands of people in such a positive way! What an incredible feeling that must be!

Thank God for you Mr. Cone! I shudder to think of what my life (or the life of my family) might have been like if you had not been around to show me what a joy music is. I will NEVER be able to thank you enough for the difference you've made. None of us will be able to. But please at least know how incredibly important you are to Kelly (Girl) Smith class of '85. YOU made my HS days wonderful and I truly love you so much!

Love and Devotion Forever,


Kelly Lee Smith '85

Starrett Jr High 8th grade choir
LVHS Concert choir
LVHS Girls Select Choir
LVHS Valley Singers
"The Unsinkable Molly Brown"
"Finnian's Rainbow"
Winter Fair Queen Pageant

Holy Smokes you musta been SO VERY sick of me!! ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment